Link to new blog

CHECK OUT THE NEW ADVENTURES OF DESDINOVA THE SUPER VILLAIN OF THE OZARKS!!! It is a new blog is a retro pop culture blog. Click here to see it.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

SPRINGFIELD HAD ITS OWN BATMAN & ROBIN


One of my reasons for majoring in media/broadcasting was to eventually write a horrible wrong enacted on children of the Ozarks. None of the TV stations in the Springfield market ever ran the Batman TV series in syndication. I mention this to anyone and get the same old "Ozarkers- don't-like-that-show" garbage (Of course, they get obsessive over the Andy Griffith Show). I began thinking about it and decided that probably when the Batman TV show went on the air in 1966, the Springfield News Leader ran an anti-Batman editorial and several pages of anti-Batman letters from "concerned Ozarkers" (or as I call them "right-wing nutcases"). So I decided to check the old News Leaders at the library to see if my theory was right. What I discovered was more interesting.

Apparently, the show spawned (as in the horrid film Dark Knight) Batman & Robin imitators.
Two Drury College students named Gary Griffin and Biron Valier, both from St. Louis, took on the roles of Batman & Robin respectfully. City Officials didn't find this funny and gave their Batmobile, a green Mustang, a parking ticket. HOLY SLAP IN THE FACE, BATMAN! If this happened today, I'm sure the Greene County Prosecutor would haul them into court for "upsetting an old person" or something.

I'm sorry about the condition of the photo and story, but that is what the microfilms at the Greene County Library are like. The outfits look good, but this story makes me think of the Ray Dennis Steckler film Rat Fink a Boo Boo.
I would love to know more about this story or hear from this Dynamic Duo, so I'll accept comments on this. However, if the comments are off the subject or not pertaining to this story, I will delete them because I'm still the Super-Villain of the Ozarks!!! Mwu-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Buy a Desdinova T-Shirt